As of June 16, 2014 new Farm Vehicle Tags are available for purchase through the Division of Motor Vehicles. If you have any questions, please contact your local DMV in Wilmington at 302-434-3200, Delaware City 302-326-5000, Dover at 302-744-2500 and Georgetown at 302-853-1000. The following rules will apply for the new FV tags:
- INSPECTION NOT REQUIRED
- Each plate will cost $10.00
- A new title will be issued for each U-Title currently in the DMV system
- Must be renewed every 3 years online or at DMV. You will receive a new registration card and sticker at that time. No fees apply.
- A MV31 form must be filled out for each vehicle you wish to put a FV plate on. For your convenience you may wish to do this ahead of time. Forms can be downloaded from www.dmv.de.gov.
- All previous rules apply
Documents need to obtain an FV Tag:
- Signed Affidavit (MV31) confirms they meet the requirements of Title 21, section 2113 for being a farmer
- VIN # on Bill of Sale
Special notes for issuing of a FV Title if no documentation exists:
- Delaware State Police Auto Theft inspection; DMV VIN verification; and an affidavit may be used to title the vehicle
- Title, document and lien fees apply when FV titling
- If the vehicle cannot be brought to a DMV, off-site VIN verifications are available for $15, $5 for each additional vehicle
The FV plate allows farmers to use their farm vehicles within a 20 miles radius of their farm, but now includes personal use during daily farming activities.