Begin an exciting career with Delaware Farm Bureau by joining the staff!
Current Job Postings
Part-time position, no benefits. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
Scope of Position:
The primary function of the Public Relations & Communications Division is to inform targeted audiences about Farm Bureau, agriculture and issues affecting agriculture. Our goal is to communicate effectively with Farm Bureau members, the media and the general public.
Communicating with members keeps them informed of issues and organizational activities and encourages their support of those activities. Presenting agriculture’s position on major issues and creating awareness and understanding are the primary goals of communicating with the general public.
A good county Farm Bureau information/public relations program is a vital link in the communications process. Training and assisting county Farm Bureau personnel is a responsibility of the Public Relations & Communications Division.
An outstanding candidate will have:
- the ability to recognize a good news story or draw one out of an otherwise mundane situation.
- a good command of the English language.
- superior written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Must be adept at creating clear, succinct written materials quickly.
- experience in writing and production design using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and Outlook) and Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Photoshop, Indesign, and Adobe Acrobat).
- video and photography skills.
- Prepare, coordinate and supervise news releases, feature articles, speech writing and columns as required. All releases to be approved by Executive Director before release.
- Collect relevant information on agricultural issues, write reports on events and news that relates to agriculture. Respond quickly and efficiently to any news story in order to promote Delaware Farm Bureau and/or agriculture in a good light.
- Serve as liaison between Delaware Farm Bureau and local, state and select national media. Establish and maintain relationships with writers and editors of newspapers, radio/television stations, wire services and other journals.
- Respond quickly and efficiently to any emergency event as it relates to DFB, keeping the Executive Director and President informed
- Source and work with free-lance writers.
- Write and/or coordinate and edit articles for bi-monthly newspaper, the Delaware Farm Bureau News, and paginate same.
- Be responsible for selling, billing and coordinating all advertising efforts for the Delaware Farm Bureau News.
- Prepare Ownership Report for the U.S. Postal Service, due Oct. 1. The report must appear in Delaware Farm Bureau News.
- Assist with production of all brochures, bulletins, leaflets and pictures pertinent to organizational programs and publicity including writing, editing, layout, design and distribution.
- Take photographs or videos and provide coverage of events, some of them in the evening or on weekends.
- Produce video content for website and social media.
- Manage communication campaigns including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and other developing platforms as it relates to Communications.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or English or a minimum of 2 years of journalism/public relations experience
- Outgoing, highly motivated person who can work independently or as part of our team.
- Ability to prioritize projects, work independently and on a team, and to multi-task efficiently.
- Willingness to travel to some educational conferences two to three times per year.
- Working knowledge of agriculture and an understanding of grassroots, volunteer organizations preferred.
Resumes with cover letter accepted until January 18, 2020. Please include qualifications, background, education, and three references.
Submit to: Delaware State Farm Bureau
Attn: Joseph Poppiti
3457 S. DuPont Highway
Camden, Delaware 19934
Delaware Farm Bureau is an equal opportunity employer.